Monday, March 1, 2010

Canned Food Alliance, Great Taco Soup!

I am a huge fan of canned foods. When TwitterMoms offered a chance to learn more and blog in conjunction with The Canned Food Alliance, I learned a lot.

Being from a large family, one of six and having six children myself... canned foods are something I'm familiar and comfortable with.  I'm still learning though... I've learned about the nutritional value in the different types of canned foods, I'm learning great recipes that you can make with them right from the pantry. The advantages to using canned foods is that the food doesn’t spoil fast so you can keep it on hand for quite a while on the shelf for whenever you want to make a casserole, soups, and more! From the Canned Food Alliance video I learned that alot of canned foods are fat free. I also learned some canned foods are nutritionally as strong in protein/fiber content as their naturally fresh counterparts like canned fish and poultry and canned corn, artichoke hearts, beans, apricots and pears.
One of my favorite recipes and the fam's is Taco Soup!


2 - Cans Pinto Beans
2 - Cans Black Beans [drained]
2 - Cans Corn [Sweet or shoepeg]
2 - Packets Each of:
~Ranch Original Dressing
~Taco Seasoning [any type]
2 to 4 - Cups Water
4 - Cans 10 oz. Rotelle Tomatoes & Chili's [mild, original, or medium]
2 lbs. of Lean Ground Beef or Turkey [optional]
 
Brown meat and add to all above listed ingredients [add packets slowly to your taste] to a Crock Pot or Stove Top Pot. Simmer for 1 - 2 hrs. 
Adjust recipe to your liking. You can't hurt it. Add more water if you like more broth.
Serves 8 ~ This recipe has been doubled for my family, half recipe for a family of 4.
Top with tortilla chips, pepper jack cheese, sour cream, or diced avacado to taste.
~ENJOY!
 
Watch the Field to Table Video
Canned Food Alliance

0 comments:

Post a Comment